- June 30, 2021
- Posted by: Author .
- Category: Information
Global Packaging Trends Compendium 2021 contains more than 550 packaging innovations. It is divided into nine trends. One of the most popular trends is the ‘Refill Revolution. Despite the potential disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, the number of reusable and refillable packaging has increased over the past 18 months, as retailers, suppliers, and brands look for ways to reduce single-use or difficult to recycle packaging. The first steps to making the transition to refillable packaging models are taken by dry foods, household products, and personal care.
Most of the in-store products introduced to the market are in the pilot and small trial stage. There is also a limited number of test stores where they can use refillable packaging systems. Major retailers are testing the waters with a few initiatives in stores. The Body Shop, a cosmetics, skincare, and perfume retailer, is resisting this trend and expanding its trial operations.
Global rollout of the refillable scheme begins.
The Body Shop’s refill and recycle program is now being offered worldwide, following successful trials in its two concept stores. In 2019, they launched the first trial on Bond Street in London and Vancouver’s Pacific Centre. The extended launch will begin in France with 47 stores and be expanded to 400 stores worldwide by 2021. In addition, the Body Shop will have refill stations in all its stores by 2026. It works like this: Customers are given 250ml aluminium bottles and then have the option to choose from a variety of products such as shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and shower gels. After the product is used, the customer can clean the bottle and return it to the store for another refill. The number of refill stations available will depend on the size of your store, but there will likely be six to twelve outlets.
Launch of Gable-top soap refill packs
Norwegian personal and home care company Orkla has teamed up with Elopak to create a refill pack for Klar laundry detergent and liquid soap products. Orkla’s new carton made from the board, D-PAK, is designed to reduce plastic waste. Gable-top cartons are made of renewable materials and can be recycled with other board products like milk cartons or newspapers. At the same time, some elected retailers and online buyers participated in a trial. Refilling is simple and easy, according to consumer feedback. The carton must be opened and poured into the plastic container. The new pack is more efficient in the supply chain because it is lighter and more cost-effective per unit. To alert consumers that the pack’s contents are not suitable for consumption, a label is placed above the cap.
The return and refill program aims to decrease carbon footprint.
Upcycle, a sustainable skincare brand that uses ‘byproducts’, has launched a refill and return program to reduce its carbon footprint. The company recycles coffee grounds from London coffee shops and other waste products like fruit stones, argan and olives, juice, and tea. 99% of the current packaging used by the company is plastic-free. It’s made from the easily recyclable board, glass, and aluminium. The remaining 1% can also be recycled. Customers can return any clean, empty packaging at no cost. It will then be sterilized and refilled and will be returned to them. The scheme will give the customer a 20% discount on the original price. Upcycle has an in-store location where customers can bring their bags to be filled from bulk containers.
The coffee chain trial begins with a reusable cup.
Starbucks, a coffee shop giant, is testing a new reusable cup program called “Borrow a Cup” in five Seattle locations for two months. That’s the way to reduce single-use cup waste. The customer requires a $1 deposit to obtain a reusable cup. After the drink has been consumed, the cup can be scan at a participating retailer’s collection point. Once the cup’s return is confirmed, the $1 is refunded, and ten bonus points are added to the customer’s account. The cups can then be taken out and cleaned commercially. Within 48 hours, individuals can reuse the cups. Each mug can be reused 30 times before it is recycled. This initiative is part of Starbucks’ goal to reduce waste by half by 2030.
It is expected that the Refill Revolution trend will continue to grow. As the sector becomes more mainstream, retailers and brands will continue to create refillable and reusable solutions to achieve their sustainability goals.
The 2021 Global Packaging Trends Compendium includes nine new packaging trends. This comprehensive analysis includes more than 550 packaging innovations. In addition, it features 16 interviews with industry experts from all over the globe, including packaging experts from Mondelez, Ocado and Mars Wrigley.
For more information check out The Pack Hub